June 30, 2014

Mindful Monday: The Shopping Challenge Review


Oh my! My legs are super tanned in these pictures, I guess the tan is still a leftover from my sunburn I got a few weeks ago, well that's what happen when you're legs are in the sun, and the other part of your body is hiding in the shades :D But most importantly is the fact that my 6 Month Shopping Challenge is over today, wooohoo :) :) :) I think these are the important questions and answers you want to know: 

1. Why did you do that?

I've started this little project as a New Year's Resolution because last year I have realized that I definitely want less, here and now. I wanted to clear my life from clutter, to reduce my life from excess to the most important things, I just wanted to cut down from everything, instead of wanting more, wanting less. My closet was overflowing with clothes, handbags, scarfes, tons of jewelry, shoes and so on that I decided: I cannot do this anymore, I don't want this anymore, it's taking my energy and to be honest, it's weighing me down. I don't know whether or not you understand it, but often to think clear, you must clear your mind. So why not start with yourself and your consumption behavior?

 
2. How was your experience throughout the 6 months?

The very first month, starting in January, was pretty hard with so many Sales going on and friends trying to 'go shopping' with me, but I was able to resist and say NO to all that craziness of shopping, buying, consuming and wanting more, more and more. Instead, I've spent some time sorting out my closet and go to flea markets to sell some stuff, you can read my 1st and 3rd month reviews here and here. I can now say that I still have too many clothes in my closet, but I feel better that I did not go shopping for most of the time.

Why most of the time? Yes, I have to admit, I failed. Or cheated? If you are very strict, 3 times. The 1st time was at the Berlin Fashion Week in January when I bought myself some Floralpunk earrings; my boyfriend then gave me the money for it, so it was 'kind of' a present from him. The 2nd time was actually at a flea market when I bought a dress and a scarf from my friends, which were 2€ in total. And the 3rd time happened this easter break when I spent some days in Berlin and had to visit the newly opened Uniqlo-Store, the very first one in Germany. I fell in love with this beige 100% Linen Blouse and had to have it. I love the natural color, I love the feeling on my skin and I love to combine it to more beige stuff from my wardrobe in the summer :) Yes, it was a really tough decision because I left the blouse with the tag in the bag for another 30 days, thinking and deciding whether or not to keep it and looking for some fairtrade-or-ecofriendly similar shirts. There was no exact one and I decided: it's a keeper, but I won't wear it until the 6 month challenge is over. So, I guess, I failed 3 times in total, but I am still proud of myself that I did it, I tried, and this was not the end. 


3. How did it change your mind? And what about the future?

Six months of no-shopping are over now, but I realized that this is an ongoing-process, no start and stop, but it's about learning, failing and doing the best you can. Therefore, I am extending my no-shopping challenge for an unlimited time. I extend it to my everyday life, not only for this period of 6 months. I feel very content about it, yes, I failed 3 times, but I am still learning, I don't want to put myself under too much pressure and then blame myself, but on the other hand, I will also try to focus on myself more instead of listening to others and media, who and which influence me and my shopping choices. My boyfriend once said: advertisment creates artificial needs.

I also want to work against an overconsumption of anything, be it clothes, food, electronic things etc. You do not need as much to live a rich, healthy and happy life, there are way more important things and it's also not about having the newest, fastest, best ... on earth, but about quality and meaning. 

Everything in my life is leading to more sustainability right now. Instead of satisfying short and immediate cravings, shopping or food (you know what I'm talking about), I try to choose sustainability and longevity. For example, if something breaks, I don't throw it away immediately, but find ways to repair it, either I learn how to repair it myself or ask for help :)

4. Oh and what happened to the creative part of this? 
DIY? Mix-and Matching old clothes? Trading? 

I've actually did trade clothes and borrowed some stuff from my friends and neighbours, crazy huh? Yeah because if there is something I really really need, I just ask around and I can assure you, someone has it. Talking about the more creative part, mix and matching, yes, I did look for more older clothes and fell in love again, but capturing it with outfit posts was pretty hard for me in the past year. I will give my best and try to blog those outfit posts more for you ;-) Oh and my DIY projects are still in the planning, so I'll keep you updated with that as well. 

This was it so far :) What do you think of my experience, and about my new Linen Blouse? Will you join me in my process and when does your shopping challenge start? Maybe tomorrow? I will also give you some tips on how to shop less in the upcoming posts ;-) so stay tuned!

Have a wonderful new week ♥


P.S.: Another thing I've noticed was that, okay, I do not spend my money on clothes anymore, but more on organic foods and superfoods, which can also be pretty expensive when you're a student, but my thought behind it is: it's my body and my health, it's so worth it!  More about this soon!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys, I appreciate every comment and welcome you to join me in my process. Would love to hear from you, be it criticism or new ideas, thank you for your thoughts!

Love, Minh